Create a Custom Map in Google Maps
If you want to create your own custom map then you can make it on Google Maps. You don’t need any other software or application to make a custom map because Google maps allow you to add your own shapes, and pinpoints and helps you to make the direction of your custom map.
If you want to make a custom map and don’t know the method then follow this guideline. We will help you in this regard.
Steps to Create a Custom Map in Google Maps
You can easily make a custom map on Google Maps by using Google Maps but it doesn’t allow you to make landscapes. It will allow you to create your own landmarks, routes, and locations.
If you want to draw your own shapes then you can draw on the current map and can add details to the existing map. You need to use the web version of Google to create the custom map.
- First of all, you need to open Google Maps and then sign in with your Google account.
- After that, you need to click on the menu option that will appear in the top left corner.
- After opening the menu, find the “Your Places option” and click on it.
- After opening the Your places option, you will see an option as “Maps” on the left side, just click on it.
- When you click on the Maps option then at the end there will be an option of “Create Maps”, click on that option.
- Now, you will see map making window, select the “untitled map” option that will be on the top right side.
- Now, you need to edit the title of your map and then have to write the description of your map. After adding a tab on the save button.
Custom Map Layers
A custom map is created by a layer that is the “Base Map” layer. If you want to customize the appearance of the base map layer, for this you have to click on the arrow option that will be next to the base map option. By clicking on the arrow you can choose different map themes.
You can add many layers to your custom map, which will help with the separation of new map components. You just need to click on the “Add layer” button.
If you want to rename the name of the layer then click on the three-dot icons near the layer option and then click on the “Rename layer” option. If you want to delete the layer click on the delete option.
Creating a Custom Map in Google Maps
As we told you that you can add your own marker points, shapes, and lines and even create your own direction on the map.
Adding a Marker Point
You can say custom marker point as a pinpoint, it will appear on the map. If you want to add an additional description then you can use it to add more description. You can also add a point map to indicate the area for the user or you can also specify the area that is not on the Base map layer.
You have to set a suitable location on Base Map Layer so that you can add a new marker point. When you are done just click on the “Add marker” option.
Drag your mouse and click on the area of the map. In this way, you can use a marker editor. Now add subtitles and descriptions and click on the save option for adding it to the map.
Adding Lines or Shapes
If you want to add lines and shapes then click on the “Draw a Line” option from the menu and then click on “Add lines and shape” option.
- On the map, draw the lines to a join-up shape.
- Now, add a custom name and description in the menu that will appear on the screen, and then click on the save option.
Creating Custom Directions
- If you want to create directions then choose the “Add Directions” option from the menu to add this layer.
- This direction will appear in the menu. Now, add one point of departure “A” box then the arrival point as the “B” box.
- When you filled both named boxes then the map will automatically update and show your location.
How to Share Custom Maps in Google Maps?
When you are successfully done with the creation of Map then you can check it out on Google Maps. You can also share it with others as well. For the sharing of maps, open Google maps from a website, sign in with your Google account then select “Owned” where your custom map was uploaded.
- Now click on the share map option and select any of the following platforms to share your map.
- After that you will see the next option, just click on the share option.
- Now, there will an option for link sharing. Now select the Change option under the “who has access” option.
- Now, select access to your map. You can also allow specific people to have access to your Google map.
- When you have selected your required option, just click on save option.